ESSENTIAL OIL FINDER|
The Oils and Plants Oil Finder Database, helps you quickly find which Essential Oils to use for which ailment. Type in the name of an Essential Oil or an Ailment to find the definition. You will find fuller explanations on our Ailments and Essential Oil pages.
Please note that this is only a guide to help you identify which oils are good for which ailments and vice versa. Once you have found the oil that suits your needs, please read the whole article for that oil to find out any contraindications and if it is the right oil for you.
Here are the results for the letter i
- f your indigestion is causing a stomach ache then you should use Rosemary oil in a bath or in a diffuser.
The scent of Orange is extremely calming. If you do not have Orange oil with you, simply squeeze the rind of the Orange and sniff it.
Camomile oil should be massage onto your abdomen for you to get relief from any acidity and loss of appetite.
- The most important point to remember is that treatment is most effective if started at the very first sign of infection. At this stage, a moderately hot bath with a few drops of anti-viral essential oil added will usually provoke profuse sweating, followed by a deep, restful sleep, the sick person should go straight to bed after bathing. Very often, this will be enough to avert a full-blown attack of 'flu completely, though it is a good idea to repeat the bathing for the next two or three days. The most spectacularly effective oil for this purpose is Tea Tree. Some people may find this oil a mild skin irritant, and may not be able to tolerate more than 3 or at the most 4 drops in a full bath, but even this tiny amount is enough to avert the attack of 'flu. If you do not have Tea tree to hand, try a 'cocktail' of Lavender and Eucalyptus, using 3 drops of each.
- INSECT BITES AND STINGS
- Every summer time first aid kit should include Lavender. It can be applied 'neatly' (without dilution) to the affected area as needed. After cleaning the area with warm soapy water, rinsing and drying, apply a drop directly to the insect bite.
Camomile and Eucalyptus can also be applied in small dabs directly on the bite.
See our Insect Bites Page for indepth information.
- Lavender, Camomile and Neroli are the essential oils which have proved to be the most effective in helping insomnia, and it is worth notice that each of them has a profound effect on the mind and emotions; calming, soothing, balancing and relieving anxiety. Any of the oils classified as sedative can be helpful, and indeed it is important to vary the oils used, especially if help with sleeping is needed over a period of more than a week or two.
The sedative oils include Benzoin - very helpful where external worries are at the root of sleeplessness, Bergamot - a good choice where insomnia is linked with depression, Clary Sage — a very profound relaxant which should never be combined with alcohol, as the two together can induce nightmares or very strong dreams, Marjoram — very warming and comforting, Sandalwood, Juniper, Ylang Ylang, and others. This list is not exhaustive but includes the oils considered most useful. Almost any of these can be mixed together in blends, so experiment until you find those you consider most pleasing and most effective.
- Camomile, more than any other essential oil, has the ability to relieve itching, though Bergamot, Lavender and very dilute Melissa are all very good choices. Camomile and Lavender combined are more effective than either of them alone, and Blue Camomile is the best of the various Camomiles to use. Depending on the location and the extent of the itching, you can use these oils in the bath - especially if a large area of the body is affected as in some allergic conditions -in a cream or lotion, or even, for a very small itchy area, one or two drops of the neat oil rubbed directly onto the skin.
You can either type in the word you are looking for in the box below or browse by letter. We are constantly updating the Oil Finder Database, so if you don't find what you are looking for, please comeback soon and try again. You can contact us via our facebook page if you would like to add some information to the Database.
Browser by letter
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z